Thursday, July 18, 2013

Why Twinkle Toes?

Those who know me, know I'm not a girly girl, far from it. So Twinkle Toes sounds a little out of character for me...

So why Twinkle Toes?

Because of this lovely lady:




That is my 13 year old Andalusian/Arabian mare, Reannon aka Twinkle Toes. When her and I came to be, she was a 2 year old, virtually untouched and full of personality. One of her quirks is that she is absolutely anxious about food and does quite the little performance at feed times. Piaffes, head flips, side leaps, paws, caprioles, and some impressive cutting moves. We had a wonderful old man who used to care take at one of the first barns I kept her at and he quickly named her "Twinkle Toes" because of her dinner dances.

A few years later, Reannon started having hoof issues that I really wasn't getting any good answers or solutions from the traditional farriers who were working on her. With some encouragement and guidance from Gwenyth Santagate  I started trimming her myself and finally got the answers and solutions I was looking for. I credit Reannon for starting me on my journey of barefoot/natural hoof care, and she has been my teacher ever since. I think it's only right to pay tribute to the toes that got me in the business!

No comments:

Post a Comment